Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cupcake and the Cookies

Before I get into my dessert reviews, the title of this blog entry is a play on a band I recently heard about from the 1950's named Cookie and the Cupcakes. Switching the name around for my blog entry actually fits my most recent dessert experiences.

Now back to the desserts. We had another birthday for my coworker Nicole this week and went with Crave Cupcakes as usual. My cupcake pick was Pistachio. I only tried Gigi's version of pistachio, so I wanted to try Crave's. The cake is made up of pureed pistachios with citrus and spice, topped with white chocolate cream cheese frosting and a few pieces of pistachio nuts on top. The cupcake didn't taste like pistachio. It was more like a lemon spice cake. I loved the frosting. Even though it didn't quite taste like pistachio, it was good for a fruity-type cupcake. It was VERY different in comparison to Gigi's pistachio.

Earlier in the week, I bought some dessert mixes from Williams-Sonoma and tried the toffee chocolate chunk cookie this weekend. The kit came with a pouch of brown sugar and a cookie mix. All I needed was some butter and an egg. Since we like a softer, slightly under-cooked cookie, I reduced the bake time about two to three minutes less than the directions stated. 

And a dozen big cookies later, here is how they turned out...

Overall, they were tasty. I think the edges were a bit too crunchy, but my husband disagreed. I think I may have overmixed the batter a tad bit. The toffee wasn't the predominant flavor; it was more of a hint of toffee here and there. We enjoyed them nonetheless. I would buy this kit again, but they are a bit pricey at $18.95, so I wouldn't buy it very often. I got a buy two deal and used a coupon to bring the price down to about $14 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment