Monday, March 26, 2012

Gluten-Free and Glutton Full

We wanted to try some of the new Spring/Summer flavors at Gigi's, so we made the trip to the Land of Sugar again this weekend.

Since I loved the chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake at Sugarbaby's, I was eager to try Gigi's. And I’ve been intrigued by the gluten-free white velvet, so I finally got a chance to try it.

The first cupcake I had was the gluten-free white velvet. I'm not on a gluten-free diet, but I had been curious as to how white velvet would taste. I've tried a few other gluten-free products and had positive experiences with them. Gigi's white velvet cupcake is gluten-free white cake with a buttercream frosting, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with a white chocolate heart. Don't let the cake crumble! The cake part fell apart quite a bit, but apparently that is somewhat normal for gluten-free products. It was a bit dry as well. I'm not sure if the dryness was also due to being gluten-free. Overall, the cake was OK. The frosting was good and quite sweet.
The second cupcake was the newly debuted chocolate chip cookie dough (full of gluten and glutton). It’s chocolate chip cookie cake with cookie dough frosting, chocolate chips and topped with half of a mini chocolate chip cookie. This cake was a tad bit dry too. I really enjoyed the frosting. It was rich, but the best part of the cupcake. I would have preferred fewer chocolate chips. While I liked this cupcake, I feel Sugarbaby's version edges out for the win. The cake in Sugarbaby's chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake was moister and had slightly better flavor; and I felt the fewer chocolate chips didn’t overpower the overall taste.
Both cupcakes satisfied my sweet tooth, but didn't completely meet my high expectations for Gigi's this weekend. I definitely wouldn't disqualify either cupcake; I'd happily devour them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment