Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gimme Some Sugar...Baby!

It's been a few years since we had Sugarbaby's Cupcake Boutique. It was, after all, my first gourmet cupcake experience. I've been eyeing their chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake, so I talked the fiance into grabbing some dessert from Sugarbaby's this weekend.

The top row cupcakes are chocolate chip cookie dough; one for the fiance and the other for me. Second row is sweet strawberry for me and chocolate truffle for the fiance. Third row is fiance's velvet rouge and my va-va vanilla with chocolate buttercream.

As Ms. Predictable, I had the strawberry first. It's strawberry cake made with real strawberries and topped with sweet strawberry buttercream. You could tell it was made with real strawberries because it had more of a natural sweet flavor rather than that heavy sugar sweetness. It was a tiny bit dry, but not too noticeable. I liked this one.

My second cupcake was the va-va vanilla, which is vanilla bean cake with traditional chocolate buttercream frosting and sprinkles on top. This one was just OK. It was a little on the dry side; more so than the strawberry.

Save the best for last...the chocolate chip cookie dough. It is vanilla chocolate chip cake topped with eggless chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream. It doesn't look as pretty as the others, but it sure tasted pretty...oh how yummy this one was! It definitely did not disappoint. I was immediately addicted. The right amount of moist cake with the appropriate balance of chocolate chips and sweetness. Delish! I highly recommend if you are a chocolate chip cookie dough fan!

The chocolate truffle cupcake was the fiance's selection, but I took a bite. It's made with chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache, topped with chocolate buttercream, dipped in dark chocolate and topped with chocolate curls. If you are a fan of a ton of chocolate, than this is the cupcake for you. I thought it was alright, but just too much chocolate for me. The dark chocolate was a bit difficult to cut through with a fork. It was similar to a hard shell; perhaps it's intended to be that way.

Sugarbaby's cupcakes are similar in price to the other cupcakeries at $3.25 each, but they charge tax on top of it (some cupcake shops include it in their price). Their sizes are slightly smaller than Gigi's or Crave, but still acceptable. I would go back to Sugarbaby's for the chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake.

We are having a baby shower for someone at work this week and ordering from Sprinkles. I'm going to muster up the courage to try the seasonal Irish chocolate cupcake. Watch for that review!

No comments:

Post a Comment