Monday, April 1, 2013

Swirl of Happiness

The story behind this blog entry title comes from a silly comment my husband made over the weekend, but I felt it fitting with the tall swirl of frosting typical of a Gigi's cupcake.

With the Good Friday holiday, we made a trip over to Gigi's to try some of the new Spring/Summer menu items; plus take advantage of Friday flavors since we don't get a chance to try anything outside of the Saturday menu. We arrived a bit late in the afternoon and were disappointed that they ran out of a lot of flavors we wanted to try. I opted for a few flavors I haven't reviewed; albeit not my first choices.

I started with the new Tropical Spritzer flavor, which is lemon lime cake made with Sprite, filled with a pineapple coconut filling, lemon cream cheese frosting and sugar crystals. Surprisingly, this cupcake was better than I expected. However, the cake was a tad dry as was the outer edges of frosting. The taste of the cake itself was a nice, light fruity flavor. The pineapple coconut filling appeared to be only on the top, which I expected to be inside; hence it being a "filling." But I was kind of glad it wasn't inside because it was my least favorite part.

My second cupcake was Miss Princess, which is white cake baked with fresh strawberries, topped with a cream cheese frosting, pink sugar crystals and a pink fondant crown. This one was better than the Tropical Spritzer. The consistency was perfect and it had bits of strawberry baked in, which made it more authentic strawberry tasting.

It's a shame that Gigi's selection was so sparse when they were still scheduled to be open for several more hours. I understand it was a holiday, but for that reason, they should have been more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment