Saturday, April 27, 2013

Smallcakes; Big Taste

Last weekend, we ventured out to a new cupcakery called Smallcakes. They opened a few months ago in the Houston suburbs and another location opened up this weekend. Thanks to hubby for finding this little gem! The sizes are smaller than Gigi's and Crave and cost $3.25 each. The main website shows other desserts like doughnuts, cookies, cakes, etc., but I didn't see that at this location.

Now onto the important stuff. Our 6-pack consisted of Vanilla-n-Chocolate (top left), Decadent Fudge (top middle), Caramel Crunch (top right), Pink Vanilla (bottom left), Hot Fudge Sundae (bottom middle) and Red Velvet (bottom right).

First cupcake I had was the Vanilla-n-Chocolate, which was vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream topped with valrhona chocolate sprinkles. Valrhona fine French chocolate (I had to look this up). This was a fairly basic cupcake, yet tasty. Good flavors and consistency.

The second cupcake was Red Velvet, which is described as grandma's red velvet cake with their signature cream cheese frosting. This was definitely the epitome of a real red velvet cake. The cream cheese frosting was truly creamy cream cheese. Also a good pick.

Last was Caramel Crunch, which is chocolate cake with caramel frosting topped with sea salt and chocolate pretzels. I took off the pretzels; that's just not my style. This was by far the best cupcake I tried from Smallcakes. The frosting was more like gooey caramel than that whipped frosting you usually get.

I also had bites of hubby's cupcakes and I want to mention his Decadent Fudge cupcake was similar to my Caramel Crunch in that the frosting was like gooey fudge that you'd get on a sundae.

The only thing that was a little odd was that the cupcakes looked like they got a little swallowed up in the cupcake liners even though they were average size. I was mostly impressed by the cupcakes that didn't use traditional whipped frostings. I'd like to try some of their other flavors, so Smallcakes stays on the rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment