Monday, June 4, 2012

Experimenting S'more

With a birthday certificate from World Market, I bought some dessert mixes. The one I tried last weekend was S'mores Cupcake Kit by a company named Jo Cupcake. It included a chocolate cake mix, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chunks, marshmallow frosting mix and eight bonfire cupcake aprons.

The ingredients say it makes eight cupcakes, but I struggled to fill seven cupcake liners. I baked it at the minimum recommended time, which was 16 minutes. In the meantime, I made the frosting. I always have trouble with frostings from scratch because the butter has to be the right temperature and inevitably, the consistency of the frosting usually ends up being too thin. That was the case again this time, so I added more powdered sugar. And more. And then some more. And a bit more. And yet a little more. You get the idea. Anyway, here's the result...

As for the taste test, the cake was a bit dry. I think the recommended time should have been a few minutes less. Still couldn't get the frosting quite thick enough, but I was afraid that adding any more powdered sugar would have just made it unbearably sweet. It was already really sweet. And, I didn't care much for the chocolate chunks.

These cupcakes were good, but needed more mix and some adjustments to the baking directions.

We're having another birthday lunch for a coworker tomorrow, so watch out for my review of a Crave flavor I'll be trying for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment