Monday, May 7, 2012

Sucre Cravings

Due to my hectic schedule and recent travels, I've fallen behind on my cupcake updates. 

The weekend before last, the fiance and I hit Crave again. I had strawberry, banana and vanilla on chocolate. 

My first cupcake was strawberry, which is strawberry cake with fresh strawberries baked inside and topped with strawberry frosting. As often as I get their strawberry cupcakes, I don't think I ever posted a pic of it. So, here it is...

I usually get the chocolate on vanilla, but decided to switch it up for vanilla on chocolate since I hadn't reviewed it yet and it's been awhile since I had this one from Crave. It's dark chocolate cake with vanilla bean frosting and chocolate sprinkles on top. The cake was moist as usual and a sweet, yummy frosting. While this one was a tasty treat, I still like the chocolate on vanilla better.

A few months ago, in my search for who makes the best king cakes, I came across a sweet boutique in New Orleans named Sucre. Turns out this place has a lot more than just cakes. They have other desserts including cupcakes, macaroons, gelato, chocolate and more. So, this past weekend, the fiance and I were in Louisiana for a wedding and just HAD to check them out. Sucre is French for sugar. The proper French pronunciation is sue-cra, but I was corrected by a Louisianian with the pronunciation as sue-cray. Anyway, fiance's cupcakes were vanilla/almond (bottom left) and chocolate/chocolate (bottom right). Mine were vanilla/strawberry (top left) and salted caramel (top right).

First cupcake I had was vanilla/strawberry, which was vanilla cake with strawberry jelly-like filling and buttercream frosting. The cake was a tad bit dry, but the frosting was fluffy. I wasn't totally disappointed, but expected better.

My second cupcake was the salted caramel, which was chocolate cake with buttercream filling, buttercream frosting with a bit of caramel flavor and a fleur de lis chocolate on top. This cake was also a little dry. I barely tasted the salt or caramel; what should have been the predominant flavors. Overall, the cupcake was just alright.

Cupcakes aren't Sucre's specialty like the cupcakeries. The cupcakes were a good size and the presentation was high-end with sparkly elements on the frosting, sauce drizzled on the plate, etc., but pretty pricey at $4 each. That's probably the most I've paid for a cupcake. Our cupcakes were good; just not the best we ever had. If I go back, I'd try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment