Thursday, May 24, 2012

Caramel and Spice and Everything Nice

So, I experimented with Duncan Hines' spice cake and their Frosting Creations caramel flavor mix last weekend. I followed the directions exactly, but added a splash of vanilla flavor to the cake mix. The frosting mix was pretty easy to do. You just hollow out the middle, pour the powdered flavor in it and stir until blended. It took a little bit to get it completely mixed, but otherwise, pretty simple.
 
Well, here's the finished product. I realize my frosting technique needs work. Gigi's won't be hiring me anytime soon.

The spice cake had a cinnamon and nutmeg taste, which was OK. The caramel frosting was tasty. I even added a little sea salt to the top of a few cupcakes. Yeah, I know, I'm a sucker for that salted caramel flavor.

The spice cake wasn't bad, but I think the caramel frosting may have been better on top of another type of cake; yellow, vanilla or chocolate. I will definitely try some of the other Frosting Creations in the future. It's a great alternative to the standard frosting tub flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment