Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cupcaking Celebrity Style

It has been over a year since we had Celebrity Cupcakes, so we decided to give them another try. From what I remember, our first experience was good. But we've been exposed to so many cupcake joints since then that we wanted to give it another go to see how they measure up.

The biggest draw of going there was that I wanted to try their fleur de sel cupcake, which is my latest salted caramel flavor craving. I remember seeing it the first time I went there and thought it was a little odd. Boy did I miss out! Much to my dismay, they were out of the fleur de sel. So, my flavor selections were: red velvet (middle left), vanilla with milk chocolate (middle right) and strawberry truffle (bottom left). Fiance's selections included: German chocolate (top left), vanilla bean (top right) and carrot (bottom right). I did not taste the fiance’s flavors, but he told me that the German chocolate and vanilla bean were good; the carrot was OK, but that he's had better carrot cupcakes at other cupcakeries.

My first cupcake was the strawberry truffle, which consists of dark chocolate cake with strawberry buttercream frosting. Overall, the cupcake was decent, but the cake part was a bit dry. It fell apart too easily.

Second cupcake I had was the vanilla with milk chocolate frosting. This was better than the strawberry truffle. This is a pretty basic cupcake, so not much to say about it; satisfying nonetheless.

The last cupcake I ate was the red velvet. This was by far the best one I tried out of all three. I'm glad I saved this one for last. The cake was the right consistency and had a nice, sweet cream cheese frosting.

Aside from the comments from my cupcake taste test, my main complaints with Celebrity's cupcakes are that the size is smaller than Crave or Gigi's even though they are the same price; and they don’t frost the entire top of the cupcake out to the edges.

Celebrity is tucked away near the West University shopping center. While the experience wasn't a disaster, there are better options out there that we prefer.

There are a few new cupcakes out there that I've been eyeing lately. Gigi's has advertised a gluten free white velvet cupcake. I’m not sure how gluten free foods compare to regular. I'd prefer a regular version, but if not, I'll give the gluten free one a shot. And Sprinkles has a s'more cupcake featured this month. So I'm hoping to give them a try soon and report back my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment