Monday, September 26, 2011

Petite Desserts at a Grand Price

This was another weekend we opted for something other than a visit to a cupcakery. However, cupcakes were not excluded from this weekend's edibles. After learning about this place from a coworker, my curiosity was peaked.

So, I ventured over to Petite Sweets for some treats. Ha! That would be a good jingle for them. Anyway, Petite Sweets is a little dessert/frozen custard/coffee shop that opened this month between River Oaks and the Upper Kirby District. It has a cute, simple decor with a fair amount of customers in attendance while I was there on Saturday.


Our dessert selections included: two mini strawberry cupcakes; two mini vanilla cupcakes; two mini red velvet cupcakes; a carrot cake ball; a strawberry cake ball; a red velvet cake ball; a red velvet whoopie pie; a chocolate chip cookie; a snickerdoodle cookie; and a bag of homemade vanilla marshmallows. Yes, it sounds like a lot, but most of these items are quite small. Hence the name of the business…petite… Since we usually eat half dozen big cupcakes combined, I assumed this quantity of small desserts would equate to that. Well, the price certainly didn't equate to a half dozen cupcakes. Petite Sweets desserts are in the $1-$2 range, which is good if you are portion controlling, but not in the way the boyfriend and I eat desserts. I walked out of there with a $27 charge. Even though the cupcakeries are a bit pricey, I usually walk out with a half dozen cupcakes for just under $20. Petite Sweets $1.75 mini cupcakes are one to two bites. Two of their mini cupcakes cost as much as a regular cupcake, but pale in comparison to the size. Strike one for the deceptive "small" pricing and two for the not-so-equal size equivalent.

After I returned home, the boyfriend and I split the chocolate chip cookie. It had a bunch of mini chocolate chips in it, which was interesting. The taste was decent; nothing to write home about, but acceptable. Later, I ate the mini strawberry cupcake. The cake was too dry and the frosting was jelly-like. It was only slightly edible. Second, I had the mini red velvet cupcake. It was better than the strawberry. Good frosting, but the cake was a tad dry. Third, I had the mini vanilla cupcake. It was also too dry and the frosting wasn't the creamy vanilla-type I was expecting. It was also almost jelly-like. I didn't think you could mess up a basic vanilla cupcake. Strike three for dry jelly cupcakes.

We then switched to the cake balls. Boyfriend ate the carrot and we split the strawberry and red velvet flavors. They were much better than the cupcakes; moist inside and a good exterior coating. Then, I ate a vanilla marshmallow. It was also very good. OK, I'm beginning to think this is getting better that I may remove a strike.

Next, we went for the snickerdoodle cookie. This cookie was so dry, it was as hard as a rock that you could barely break it apart. I know Houston is in a drought, but come on! It must have been sitting in the cookie jar for over a week! Strike four for extreme drought cookie conditions.

Last, we split the red velvet whoopie pie. The taste and consistency were fine, but at this point, I'm not too thrilled at having paid nearly $30 for a grand disappointment from such petite treats.

Three strikes mean you're out. I gave them four. That would be a disqualification in my playbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment