Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Trailer Baker Cupcake Maker

Last year, I became aware of a cupcake trailer parked in the Heights on Saturdays and at the First Saturday Arts Market. The few occasions I drove by the location they were supposed to be parked, they weren't there. I gave up. Recently, I spotted the What's Up Cupcake trailer parked along Washington Avenue. So on Saturday, we decided to give them a shot.

They were sold out of red velvet, but had all the other flavors we wanted. The boyfriend picked vanilla bean, chocolate ganache and wedding cake. Ah, he's such a romantic by choosing a cupcake that represents the blissful occasion he has yet to partake in. Anyway, I chose strawberry, chocolate brownie and banana pudding.

After returning from my booze peddling gig, I came home to find the boyfriend already consumed his wedding cake and chocolate ganache cupcakes, so I wasn't able to taste test those flavors. But I immediately began devouring mine.

The first cupcake I tested was the strawberry. The cake was a little dry and crumbled while eating, but the frosting was tasty and adequate. Not much else to say about this one though.

The second cupcake I ate was the chocolate brownie. The cake part was an actual brownie, but had nice texture and appropriate moistness. The frosting was vanilla butter cream with a few chocolate chips on top. Again, the frosting was the right amount and satisfying flavor.

The last cupcake I had was the banana pudding. I often eat regular banana cupcakes, so I figured this wouldn't be too far off even though it mentioned "pudding" in its name. I was not at all impressed by this cupcake. The only part I thought was acceptable was the frosting with vanilla wafer cookie crumbled on top. While the cake was moist, it was too chewy from the very thick chunks of banana that sunk to the bottom of the batter. In the middle of the cake was banana pudding. I think there was too much going on in this cupcake, which made it banana overkill and rather disappointing. I didn't even finish it.

The boyfriend was gracious enough to grant me a bite of his vanilla bean cupcake. It was pretty good. Once again, the frosting was quite flavorful and the cake had the right consistency.

What's Up Cupcake is hit or miss. Some of the cupcakes were good; some alright; and one was downright displeasing. I would try them again in the future if I needed a quick cupcake fix and I was passing by, but they're not my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment