Monday, February 11, 2013

Drop, Stop, Cake Pop

A few months ago, I purchased a Bake Pop cake pop pan. Try saying that five times fast. So, I decided to give it a try this past weekend.

Aside from some of the usual ingredients like eggs and oil, I used Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix in French Vanilla, Kroger brand French vanilla pudding mix and Kroger brand vanilla candy coating. The Bake Pop instructions said to add another egg and substitute the one cup of water the cake mix called for with a half cup of milk. Supposedly, these modifications make the cake more dense. If you've had cake pops or cake balls before, they are usually denser and more moist inside than the usual fluffy cake.

After preparing the mix, I sprayed the cake pop pan with no stick baking spray containing flour; filled the pan with batter and stuck it in the oven at 350 degrees. The Bake Pop directions said to bake it for 25-30 minutes, but I reduced it to 20 minutes.

When removing the pan from the oven, the batter sort of exploded outside the little vent holes. After cooling for about ten minutes, I heated up a little of the candy coating in the microwave, dipped the cake pop sticks in the candy coating and inserted them into the cake pops. I also bought a styrofoam block to hold the pops upright and stuck them in the freezer for another ten minutes.

Once cooled, I heated the remaining candy coating in the microwave according to the instructions on the package and began dipping the pops. This was a messy project. The coating dripped a lot or the sticks fell out or the pop. For some pops, I added some sprinkles. In the meantime, I made another batch with the remaining batter, reducing the bake time to 15 minutes. After the last batch was done, I just went with cake balls. The total cake pop/ball count made was 27.

Here are the results...

While they look pretty good and tasted fine, they weren't as dense or moist as ones I've had from other people or places. Between making multiple batches, mishaps, cleaning in between, etc., the process took about two and a half hours. Baking cupcakes takes a lot less time. I will likely make cake pops again sometime, but not for awhile and not very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment