Thursday, August 2, 2012

Return of the Huge Cupcakes

As promised, we went to Gigi's over the weekend. Lucky for me, they had some new flavors to try. Since their cupcakes are so massive, we went with a 5-pack. Fiance had Hello Dolly and Birthday Surprise. I had Pistachio and Caramel Sugar Mama. And we split Texas Milk Chocolate.

Before starting, I had a bite of Hello Dolly, which is like a Mississippi Mud cake; chocolate cake filled with pecans, coconut and marshmallow, topped with cream cheese frosting, chocolate chips and crumbled graham crackers. While I can't say that I've ever had a bad cupcake from Gigi's, this one was probably the first. Not because of the flavor. It was way too dry. At least the frosting helped to reduce the dryness. It's too bad because this cupcake had a lot of potential.

So, to my first cupcake...Pistachio. It's a pistachio cake with pistachio buttercream frosting rimmed with crunchy, salty pistachio nuts topped with coarse sea salt. I love pistachio nuts by themselves, but have always been afraid to try it as a cupcake. In a nutshell (no pun intended), it was good. I liked the creamy texture of the frosting with the sea salt. I think I would have preferred the cupcake without the pistachio pieces though.

My next cupcake was Caramel Sugar Mama, which is caramel cake topped with a caramel buttercream frosting, drizzled with caramel and Sugar Babies candy. I always like me a caramel cupcake and this one aimed to please. Only problem was the Sugar Babies candy really stuck to my teeth.

Last, we split the Texas Milk Chocolate. It's milk chocolate cake topped with milk chocolate frosting, chocolate sprinkles and a yellow fondant star. I like chocolate and this was definitely a chocolate-lovers delight. However, at that point, I was so full, I could barely eat it. It's hard to enjoy when you feel like you're forcing it down your throat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda! Those are really delectable huge cupcakes! I specifically like the Hello Dolly and the Caramel Sugar Mama.

    Regards,
    Haley McAdams
    Food Protection Course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely big and delish! I love anything caramel.

      Delete