Friday, October 28, 2011

Cupcake Hiatus...or Not

Sorry, it's been awhile since reporting any new cupcake adventures. The weekend after Gigi's, I made brownies with white chocolate chips. The weekend after that, we had Crave Cupcakes again. Since they were pretty much the same flavors as last time, I didn't have anything new to disclose. And last weekend, I made red velvet cupcakes courtesy of Duncan Hines. Yeah, I know, it's a box mix and jar frosting, but hey, it serves its sweet purpose. I could make my own from scratch if I wanted to, but my domestic side usually isn’t that domestic. Come on! It's my weekend too!

Usually when I bake cupcakes, I don't use the liners. Not using the liners often means coating the pan with cooking spray and sometimes, baking powder. Removing the cupcakes can get tricky, so I usually slide a butter knife around the edges to loosen it up and pop them out. Then, the cleaning afterward is always a joy. LESSON LEARNED...USE THE CUPCAKE LINERS!!! They are so much easier! This was the first time I used them. Why did I suffer all these years? You don't need to use spray; they're easy to remove from the pan and there's less cleaning involved. It's worth the few bucks to buy the liners versus the time and effort you spend.

Having made about two dozen cupcakes, there was no way the boyfriend and I could consume all of them in one weekend. They are smaller than the ones at the cupcakeries, but there's only so much one can eat. So, I brought the leftovers to work. I used a fancy frosting gun, which worked out ok. I'm not a skilled cake decorator, so the bakeries won't be beating down my door to offer me a job. By the time I arrived to the office, the frosting on two cupcakes slipped off and by mid-morning, two more took a tumble and landed upside down. I think they were too top heavy, but part of me thinks it could have been sabotage. I brought them in Florida Gator containers and there are a few SEC rivals in my office, so you tell me...

On Tuesday, it was the boyfriend's birthday. We had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. And yup, you guessed it, we ate cheesecake. Boyfriend had the white chocolate caramel macadamia nut (say that five times fast) and I had chocolate chip cookie dough. Yum! But oh so filling after bread, an appetizer and the meal. I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to maintain my weight through the end of the year with these habits and the holidays approaching.

I have no clue what's in store for this weekend. The boyfriend has made an early special request already to get Gigi's Cupcakes again next weekend. We're hoping they throw in a few alternate "off the menu" flavors as they did last time. Because our cupcake trips almost always occur on Saturdays, the cupcakeries have their set "day of the week" menus, so we don’t get to try other flavors. If any cupcake bakers are out there, this it my request...please rotate your day of the week flavor menus!

Until next time...sayonara sweet supporters!

No comments:

Post a Comment